An Elder Secret (Merciless) is the first stage in Growing Strange. Beating this stage allows the player to access one of seven random Continuation Stages. The possible Continuation Stages include:

Each is based around a different enemy type, with a 99% chance of yielding an Elder Catfruit Seed and a 1% chance of an Elder Catfruit. (At least one reward is guaranteed.)


  • The stage begins with 2 Mr. Angels, followed by 2 Ginger Snaches.
  • When the enemy base is hit, a debuffed Mr. Angel spawns as the "boss" with 2 more Mr. Angels, a Ginger Snache, a Metal One Horn, 2 Heavenly Hippoes and a Pigeon de Sable.
    • There are several other enemies that will spawn during the boss fight, including:
    • The only thing that keeps all of them from spawning at once is the low enemy limit. This means that as you defeat the enemies, they get replaced by others.
    • There's a limited number of foes inside the base, so eventually nothing will spawn besides the occasional Ginger Snache.


Since you will have to deal with another level afterwards, you can use one of these 2 methods to beat this:

  1. Hope for 1-2 specific follow-up level(s) and go with a focused army that can defeat them easily. (Very luck-based and inefficient, but MUCH easier.)
    • Example 1: You can use Eva Unit-01, Ganglion/Orbital Platform Armageddon and anti-Zombie, Alien or everyone as general attackers, so if the Alien stage or the Zombie one comes out, you can beat them without much trouble, but you will fail against the other 5 stages (unless you have enough free spaces for other cats), getting the Catfruit Seed 2/7 of the times on average.
    • Example 2: You can use an army such as: Ramen, Jiangshi, Cat Machine Mk 3, an anti-Zombie and a Critical Hitter for this level (Mk 3 is for the Pigeons, it will die and be resummoned in time for Berserkory as well, Eva Unit-00 is worse here because it can't be resummoned nor resist Berserkory), then add something to make a couple of stages doable, such as a Metal staller or 2 for the Metal stage, an extra unit who is strong against Zombies for Zamelle in the Zombie stage, Bombercat and a unit who deals very high damage to Black for the Black stage, etc.
  2. Go with an anti-everyone loadout that can defeat (almost) all follow-up levels. (VERY hard, but efficient.)
    • Example: You can use a combination of certain cats and some anti-everyone to have a chance against every possible follow-up level except, maybe, 1 or 2, this way you WILL have an hard time, but if you can manage it, the chance to win (and get the Seed) will be higher, maybe even guaranteed.

Either way, there are some units that should be used in all cases, those being a Wave Shield and a Crit. Hitter as well as small Combos that include cats that would be useful anyways and anti-everyone cats. Some recommended units are: E. Kubilan Pasalan + Lion Cat (very good Combo + a decent anti-Metal), Ramen Cat, Mitama, Gao (can also act as only Crit. Hitter if you want), Drone Cat, Holy Valkyrie Cat (and RNG), Exalted Ganesha (or similar units), Manic Eraser Cat, Shishilan Pasalan, Orbital Platform Armageddon (Zombie Killer helps a lot, not to mention the DPS and lack of White foes) or Amaterasu, as well as many others.

You must also remember that items do not carry over, meaning that Treasure Radars will be useless and you can't get any extra help in the second stage, but you can use a weaker anti-everyone army that can only beat the first stage with the help of items to focus a bigger part of the army on the second level.


  • Prior to version 7.5, this stage contained a 400% Calamary instead of a 1600% Maawth.
  • In the speech-bubble reference beside the event name, this level is labeled "Deadly", although it should be "Merciless".
  • This stage's gimmick is the opposite of the regular Catfruit stages. The first level is similar to Catfruit Jubilee, while the Continuations are similar to the other "Growing" stages, featuring enemies of one trait (only that a Metal and Zombie level were added as well).


Special Stages
Daily Stages
Normal Stages Monday Stage (Rich Cat) • Tuesday Stage (Speed Cat) • Wednesday Stage (Cat Jobs) • Thursday Stage (Sniper Cat) • Friday Stage (Helpful Cat) • Weekend Stage
Blitz Stages Monday Blitz StageTuesday Blitz StageWednesday Blitz StageThursday Blitz StageFriday Blitz Stage
Guerrilla Stages
Cat Ticket Guerrilla Love, Metal Hippoe (Hard)Super Metal Hippoe (Expert)Steel Visage (Deadly)Forged to Kill (Deadly)
XP Guerrilla XP StagesXP Megablitz!XP ColosseumMerciless XP!
Catfruit Guerrilla Growing Green (IIIIII) • Growing Purple (IIIIII) • Growing Red (IIIIII) • Growing Blue (IIIIII) • Growing Yellow (IIIIII) • Growing Strange (IRedFloatingBlackAngelAlienMetalZombie) • Growing Epic (III) • Catfruit JubileeCatfruit Buffet
Material Guerrilla Cavern of Comets (IIIIII) • Island of Ash (IIIIII) • Strait of Wings (IIIIII)
Cyclone Stages
Solo Fights Tier 1 Attack on R-CycloneAttack on B-CycloneAttack on W-CycloneOncoming Maelstrom
Tier 2 Attack on TitaniumBlack Hole RisingOncoming StormUnholy Tempest
Tier 3 The Wormhole Opens
Tier 4 Charybdis' Mouth
Dual Fights Bad to Worse (Tragedy in Red (Insane)Doom Paradise (Insane))
Day of Judgement (Explosion in the Sky (Insane)Acts of Cat-God (Insane))
Techneurosis (Nuts 'n' Bolts (Insane)Space is the Place (Insane))
Advent Stages
No Plan A (Deadly)Realm of Carnage (Deadly)Honey Trap (Deadly)Parade of the Dead (Deadly)N-1 Grand Prix (Deadly)Bombergirl (Deadly)Puffer Planet (Merciless)The Pure Land (Merciless)Saintly Sister (Merciless)I'll Be Bug (Merciless)Flow Like the Stream (Merciless)Dogsville (Insane)
Crazed Cat Stages
Crazed Cats Dark Souls (Insane)Absolute Defence (Insane)Berserk (Insane)
Festival Gross (Insane)Head Shaker (Insane)Flappy Cat (Insane)
Fish Hell (Insane)Mammals? (Insane)Crazy Cats (Insane)
Manic Cats Deathhawk (Deadly)Vulcanizer (Deadly)Unjust War (Deadly)
Muscle Party (Deadly)Lots O' Lion (Deadly)Forest Beasts (Deadly)
Ogre Island (Deadly)Draconian (Deadly)Resident Feline (Deadly)
Clan of the Maniacs The Wild Dance (Deadly)Insane Rhythms (Merciless)
Awakening Stages
Buyable Cats Actress AwakensKung Fu AwakensMr. AwakensBondage AwakensThe Dom Awakens
Box Cats AwakenPanties AwakensNinja AwakensZombie AwakensSamurai Awakens
Sumo AwakensBoogie AwakensSkirt Awakens
Monthly Cats Adult AwakesEvil Cat AwakesDoll Cats AwakeMaiden Awakes
Koi AwakensBride AwakensVacation AwakesVengeance Awakes
Kung Fu X AwakensSports Day AwakensSalaryman AwakesReindeer Fish Awakens
Li'l Cats Tiny Meows (Deadly)Tiny Will (Deadly)Tiny Chopper (Deadly)
Tiny Creeper (Deadly)Tiny Horns (Deadly)Tiny Wings (Deadly)
Tiny Fins (Deadly)Tiny Tail (Deadly)Tiny Fists (Deadly)
Cyclone Cats Crimson VengeanceNEO Darkness HeavenPeerless Too
Wrath of the DivineBitter IronyDimension of Delirium
The Dead Keep RollingThe 3rd Dimension
Advent Cats Clionel DominantRiver AcheronQueen's CondemnationDead by EncoreKing Wahwah's ReturnA Deeper Dream
Other Cats Tricycle AwakensCat Kart AwakensFlower AwakensCatburger AwakensNekondo Awakens
Monthly Event All-Stars Stages
Special Thanks! (Insane)Ultra Stress! (Insane)Miracle Tactics! (Insane)Wonderful Conquest (Insane)Elite Corps (Insane)Megaton Blast (Insane)Presents of Mind (Insane)
Memorial Stages
Year's First Dawn • Happy Birthday (IIIIII) • 3rd Anniversary Birthday Presents20 Million Downloads Special Gift!Sender Unknown40M Celebration Gifts Galore!CAT DAYYear of the Rat
Region Restriction
Korean Version ☆ Special StageTaiwan Version Special StageFaster Than Fast FoodWe're Number OneCola Flavor Cat
Unknown Schedule
Dark Descent I: Eastern Cave • II: Western Walk • III: Southern Fort • ∞: Northern Crater
Seeing Red I: Sands of the East • II: Wastes of the West • III: Peaks of the South • ∞: Ruins of the North
Duel Stages VanguardEliteCommander
Deadly Carnival Tornado Carnival (Deadly)Awakened Carnival (Deadly)
Deadly Carnival II Tornado Carnival II (Deadly)Awakened Carnival II (Deadly)
Deadly Carnival III Tornado Carnival III (Deadly)Awakened Carnival III (Deadly)
Heavenly Tower Floor 1Floor 2Floor 3Floor 4Floor 5Floor 6Floor 7Floor 8Floor 9Floor 10

Floor 11Floor 12Floor 13Floor 14Floor 15Floor 16Floor 17Floor 18Floor 19Floor 20
Floor 21Floor 22Floor 23Floor 24Floor 25Floor 26Floor 27Floor 28Floor 29Floor 30
Floor 31Floor 32Floor 33Floor 34Floor 35Floor 36Floor 37Floor 38Floor 39Floor 40

Legend Quest LEVEL 1 - LAST LEVEL (randomized SoL stages & lineups)
Baron Seal Strikes Baron Seal Strikes! (Red Alert 1 - Red Alert 20) • Baron Seal Strikes!! (Red Alert 21 - Red Alert 40) • uBaron Seal Strikes!!! (Red Alert 41 - Red Alert 60)
Other Special Stages
The Battle Cats POP! Poppin' in 3D!Fight your Friends!Player VS PlayerPay Only Once!No I-A-P!Get Those UbersConquer the GalaxyAt Nintendo eShop!
BitSummitBCJP Only Held in Miyako Messe! (2016)Held in Miyako Messe! (2017)Held in Miyako Messe! (2018)One more thing... (2018)Held in Miyako Messe! (2019)One more thing... (2019)
The Battle Cats Together! Play Battle Cats Together!Team Up & Win!Over 350 Cats!Play All you Want!Legend Stages Too!Minigames Galore!At the Nintendo eShop!But the App's Fun Too :)
Most Defeated 2019 Surprising #5Not Uncommon #4As Expected #3Runner-Up #2Unbelievable #1Unseen in 2019
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.