Aku Enemies, known as Devils or Demons (悪魔 Akuma) in the Japanese Version, are a type of Enemy Unit introduced in the Empress' Research stages and Uncanny Legends. They are the second blue enemy type in the game, though they are a darker shade of blue than Aliens, with black accents. Most Aku carry at least one of two exclusive abilities: Shields are a Barrier-like defense which regenerates each time their bearer receives a damage-based knockback, and Aftermath gives its user a chance to produce a Surge Attack when killed.
- Aku is a Japanese word meaning "evil" or "wickedness".
- There is an inconsistency with the pluralization of Aku. In unit descriptions it's just Aku, but on Aku Researcher's sign it's Akus.
- Aku have their own writing system, which consists of Japanese words written in pixelated upside-down katakana. This text is not translated between languages.
- Aku take exactly twice as long to debut in Uncanny Legends (38 sub-chapters in) as Angels in Stories of Legend (19 sub-chapters in).
- Thaumaturge Cat's staff seems to bear the "evil eye" associated with Aku, though it may just be a reference to Magical Circle Guru Guru.
- This type may have been inspired by the Death enemies in Yuru-i GeGeGe no Kitarou: Youkai Dotabata Daisensou, which also look demonic and have a barrier-like ability.
- Aku enemies' designs could've also been based off of Zombie Cat's Evolved Form, Devil Cat.
All items (28)