Fear of Flying (Merciless) is one of the Continuation Stages that the player can access after beating An Elder Secret (Merciless), the first stage in Growing Strange. Completing this stage yields an Elder Catfruit Seed, or on rare occasions, an Elder Catfruit.
- The battle begins with 3 Pigeon de Sables.
- After 23.3 seconds, a Brollow will appear every 33.3 seconds.
- When the enemy base is attacked, more Brollows and Pigeon de Sables spawn alongside The Face and 3 Li'l Bun Buns.
- Brollows and Li'l Bun Buns continue spawning every 20 seconds and 40 seconds respectively, but both are limited in number.
- Pigeon de Sable spawns every 16.7~18 seconds and does not stop spawning.
This stage is recommended to start grinding Elder Catfruit on, due to the Floating type's many exploitable weaknesses. The Pigeon de Sables are manageable, despite their wave attacks, as they're weak, as well as The Face, due to his horrible movement speed. However, you must be wary of Li'l Bun Buns and Brollows, as when a combination of the two pile up, they can smash through your ranks with ease. Cameraman Cat should do very well in this stage. Octopus Cat is very good for starting cash and you will want it for Pigeons and An Elder Secret anyway (to defend against the Berserkory). Any unit that slows Floating such as Sanzo Cat will help this stage. Keep in mind said units like Sanzo will die to The Face if the Brollow-Bun-Bun stacks are defeated too quickly.
- Prior to version 8.0, there were more Pigeon de Sables at the beginning, only 1 Brollow spawned before the boss fight, Pigeon de Sable was buffed to 300% instead of 200% and Li'l Bun Bun was buffed to 1300% instead of 1000%.