Battle Cats was a tower-defense and strategy game developed by PONOS and was first known as Battle Cats from November 15th, 2012 to January 10th, 2013, when it was last updated and was removed from both the Google Play Store and the App Store. On February 6th, 2013, version 2 of the game: にゃんこ大戦争 (Nyanko Daisensō) was released but was only available in Japan. On September 17th, 2014, the English Version reappeared under the name The Battle Cats. It has improved a lot since the old English Version and translated materials from the Japanese Version. At September 16th,2016, the game had reached 51 million downloads worldwide.
The game has two main servers, Japan and International. The Japanese Version got updated since version 1.0 to this day. However the International Version, which was separated later, was removed abruptly at version 1.5. Then it continues at version 2.0 as a separate game.
- Nyanko (the game's initial name before ver. 2.0)
- Battle Cats (the old English version, which was an alternative version of Nyanko)
All the original materials were moved to a new title combined with new features.
- Nyanko Daisensou (Japanese Version's name since ver. 2.0)
- The Battle Cats (the current, official English Version, also known as Battle Cats version 2, now becomes the alternative of Nyanko Daisensou)
- The Battle Cats POP! (Nintendo 3DS version of Nyanko Daisensou, English-translated of Tobidasu! Nyanko Daisensou)
- 냥코 대전쟁 (the Korean Version, roughly translates to Nyanko Great War)
- 貓咪大戰爭 (the Chinese/Taiwanese version)