Oncoming Maelstrom (Japanese: 天罰 Tenbatsu, Lit. Divine Punishment) is the 4th Cyclone Stage. It appears every Saturday.
Upon completion, players have a 30% chance to unlock Clockwork Cat.
- Gabriel appears as a peon.
- Heavenly Hippoe appears as support.
- Divine Cyclone appears for the first time as a boss.
- There is also an Angel Fanboy, which appears during the boss fight to remind the player that the Divine Cyclone is immune to anti-Floating effects.
- It is highly advised to have some sort of anti-Angel cat in your lineup.
Momotaro is excellent in this stage due to his spamability in his first form and great range in his second. Despite having low stats, Stilts Cat is useful as he can knockback the Divine Cyclone away if you have stacked enough of them.
With Stilts Cat, this stage becomes laughably easy as Stilts Cat can easily stun-lock Divine Cyclone into never getting an attack. Therefore, heavily spam Stilts Cats, while sending out meatshields and Bahamut Cat as needed.
If you have any of the Ultra Souls, use them in their initial form; they'll be very helpful in this stage.
Kasa Jizo destroys this stage. If you have him, bring him as your main offensive force for an easy win. Otherwise, bring along Toaster, Stilts, or Juliet. For your other cats, bring in fast damage-dealing cats such as Crazed Bird, Rocker, Jamiera, The Flying Cat, or Crazed Fish, along with 3 meatshields: Crazed Cat, Eraser and Crazed Tank. If you do not have Eraser Cat, you can substitute it for Crazed Axe. Bahamut won't survive long, but still bring him in anyways. Kalisa can help very much in this battle as well
In the main battle, stall the Gabriels and Heavenly Hippoes as much as you can to level up your wallet and to build up money. Once you are maxed out, send out your meatshields (Eraser, Crazed Wall, etc.) along with your attackers and anti-Angels. Once Divine Cyclone comes out, constantly stall it and hope your anti-Angels initiate their abilities. Try not to send too many meatshields if Divine Cyclone happens to be constantly frozen or slowed all the time; they can hog up space for your damage-dealing cats. Continue this and you should be able to kill the Cyclone and win.
If you happen to have Momotaro, this stage becomes incredibly easy. Spam him in his unevolved form with meatshields and heavy attackers and every enemy in the level will be frozen forever.
This strategy uses no True Forms. However, it needs several specific Cats:
- 3 cheap meatshields
- Rocker Cat (and other Angel-resistant Cats - I used Urashima Taro in his unevolved form)
- Stilts Cat
- Paris Cat
- Bahamut, and other heavy attackers (I used Anubis).
When the stage begins, spawn a few Stilts and 1 or 2 Angel-resistant cats while upgrading your Worker Cat. After your Worker Cat is at MAX and your wallet is full, spawn Bahamut and another slow-moving heavy attacker, then spam Stilts and Angel-resistant cats. When your Cats reach halfway through the stage, spam everything. Your cat capacity should be full before reaching the enemy base, and full most of the time.
When the Divine Cyclone appears, spam your Cats with the following priority: Stilts, meatshields, Angel-resistant Cat, heavy attacker.
Hopefully the Stilts Cat will keep your Cat Base safe for a while. When your heavy attackers and Bahamut die, the Cyclone will slowly move to you base, and if the spam priority is kept up, hopefully you will have enough time to spawn another Bahamut or another heavy attacker and kill the Cyclone.
- If the player can stack 4 or 5 pairs of Juliet Cat and Cat Toaster, the Divine Cyclone will be nearly stopped forever. Bahamut Cat is the main attacker. The player should not use any kind of knock back effects with this line up.
- Begin the battle, spam meatshield cats to protect the Cat Base, spawn as many anti-Angel cats as possible. However, the player should save up money for a Bahamut Cat to speed up the boss fight.
- If the player can spawn at least 8 anti-angels out, the Divine Cyclone and any other peons that rush to their effective range, will be stopped or slowed down.
- Princess Kaguya at a level decent enough so she can survive 1 hit from Gabriel (normal form)
- Stilts Cat or any harder-to-get cat that can knock back angels often, in case you don't have it; any level
- Tank Cat or any spammable meatschield with super low range, only 1 meatschield; any level
- Even Li'l Tank Cat at level 1 does the job, it has been tested
- Whatever you want as attack force, nothing with extremely short range, health does not matter, area attack is not needed, take high dps units like UFO Cat
- No Battle Items like the Cat CPU or Sniper the Cat, they would be useless or even problematic
- Start the battle by spamming your tank, Princess Kaguya and Stilts Cat. Some attack units can be handy to survive the first bunch of enemies if needed, but don't go too far, you need to stack many Princess Kaguyas (4-6 is enough), so killing the enemies too quickly may be a bad idea.
- When your units start to advance, make sure to spawn Kaguya and Stilts Cat all the time, but you can start to reduce the spam of tanks and add SOME high-DPS units (they should stay behind the Kaguyas, so no super fast units for now).
- When the boss appears with some Gabriels, your units will be knocked back like usual. Thanks to this, a Gabriel will manage to go behind the tanks and attack once before getting destroyed (this is why Maguya needs to survive the hit). This can be prevented with the Cat Cannon, but it doesn't really matter much, at least, I never needed the Cannon, even if most Stilt Cats died.
- Keep sending Tanks at a slow rate (every 7 seconds is more than enough), increase the damage dealers spam, if needed send more Kaguyas/Stilts.
- At this point, the Kaguyas will perma-slow the Cyclone and all the Heavenly Hippoes, while the Stilts Cats will prevent them to get too close and the Tanks will take the hits from the Gabriels that avoid the slowness; so the battle is basically already won, you only need to kill the Divine Cyclone and its army.
This strategy works even for low-level players (as an experiment, I defeated this level with ease using Kaguya lvl 9, Li'l Tank level 1 and Stilts lvl 1, the heavy hitter was only Sarukani lvl 9), but Kaguya and Stilts (or a replacement for Stilts Cat) are necessary.
Strategy 7: (Upgrade to strategy 1)
If you have Rocker Cat and something to slow or freeze angels like Cat Toaster or even Eggy Cat, This becomes even easier and less RNG heavy. Use Rocker Cat to stall to stack Stilts Cat and your angel slower/freezer as well as building money. Once you are prepared, spam everything. Cat Cannon the Gabriels to avoid them rushing your stack.
- Oncoming Maelstrom was the first level added to the game that contains Angel enemies.