Stairway to Darkness (闇へと続く地下道 Yami e to tsudzuku chikadō, Leading to Darkness underpass) is the 21st sub-chapter in Stories of Legend. This sub-chapter is available in ★, ★★, ★★★ and ★★★★ difficulty modes.
A rather difficult sub-chapter overall, Stairway to Darkness is not to be underestimated, but it may be easier than Silk Road depending on what units you have. Ironically, the first stage may just be the hardest, due to the volatile combination of Pigeon de Sable and buffed R. Ost. The second-hardest stage is probably Underground, which contains three variants of Teacher Bun Bun, making it very difficult to beat without good anti-Floating units. The difficulty of the remaining four stages ranges from moderate to fairly difficult.
- This chapter introduces three new enemies:
- Pigeon de Sable: A Floating-type enemy that has low health and damage, but has a 100% chance to produce a Lv. 1 Shockwave when it attacks.
- Dark Otter: A Black-type variant of Otta-smack-u, with improved health and damage.
- Angelic Sleipnir: An Angel-type enemy with good range, health, damage, and amazing attack speed, but slow movement.
List of Stages
This sub-chapter contains six stages.
- Stage 21-1: Safe and Not Sorry - Pigeon de Sable makes its first appearance here as support for the boss, R. Ost, who will spawn with a large group of Pigeon de Sable and a Mooth when the enemy base has been damaged.
- Stage 21-2: Claustronyctophobia - Dark Otter will make his first appearance here as a support unit for The Face, along with Wall Doge, Gory Black, Doge Dark, and H. Nah, who will all serve as very strong support units.
- Stage 21-3: Red Alert - This stage consists entirely of Red-type enemies, such as Dark Emperor Nyandam, Shy Boy, St. Pigge the 2nd, and One Horn.
- Stage 21-4: Pitfalls of Life - Sunfish Jones is the main threat in this stage, followed by Bores that spawn periodically through the level.
- Stage 21-5: Subtle Curfew - Angelic Sleipnir will appear in this level for the first time as the boss, and will receive backup from many units, such as One Horn, Metal Hippoe, Dagshund, Dark Otter, and Pigeon de Sable. Similar to Frozen Tuna Front in terms of how the enemy waves are spawned.
- Stage 21-6: Underground - Once the enemy base takes some damage, you will have to battle Teacher Bun Bun, J.K Bun Bun and Bun Bun Black all at once, who are constantly supported by Shadow Boxer K and Gabriel.
- Red Alert is one of the only stages in the game to exclusively feature Red-type enemies.